Re: NANFA-- mummichogs in freshwater

Brian Bastarache (bast_at_gis.net)
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 20:52:31 -0500

We keep them in about 18 ppt brackish water. They are quite easy to keep,
but I have found that they need to eat every couple of days. Otherwise
they seem to loose weight easily.

I have found them in perfectly freshwater streams. I'm sure they will
survive in freshwater, but I think some salt will really help them do
better. ...even as low as 12 -15 ppt.

Brian Bastarache
Bristol County Natural History Center/
Bristol County Agricultural School
135 Center St.
Dighton, MA 02715

At 08:15 PM 2/20/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Anyone have sucess with mummichogs in fresh water? I may have the fortune
>of being on the atlantic coast and I'm thinking of mummichogs. Saltwater is
>a hassle that I'm not ready to embrace yet.
>
>Geoff Kimber
>Lexginton, KY

---