Re: NANFA-- reply from non-list member

Mike Bessert (mbesser1_at_bigred.unl.edu)
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 05:35:45 -0800

Bruce -

On Liz's list, I would fall under category I. How frustrated you must have
been with the student you describe. One would assume that a person with a
degree in plant ecology ought to be able to i.d. plants! It bugs me to no
end when I'm around undergrad (and grad, unfortunately) bio majors that have
such a narrow, lab-oriented focus that they know nothing about natural
systems - the kind of people that believe they would melt if rained on.
Unfortunately, I'm finding that it is more advantageous to make oneself
sound like a "Liz - category 2" person when it comes to acquiring grant
money. Natural history is not as "sexy" as, for example, gene regulatory
mechanisms - at least in the eyes of funding sources I've submitted to.
While I think studying natural history on any level is exciting (or at least
interesting), many others in high places think such pursuits are rather
mundane.

- Mike Bessert
Lincoln, NE