Re: NANFA-- smelts

Richard J Rego (newzoo_at_juno.com)
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 22:31:34 -0500

Hi Chris,

I have kept my smelts (Osemerus mordax) in a small opaque tank
built by Presto called the "Cool Daddy" deep fryer. The main problem I
am having is that after the little light goes off, and I open the
cover...they just don't look the same. Any thoughts? However they taste
a lot better after their swim in Mazola!

Seriously now. I have never kept them, nor caught them. I know
they run in some rivers here in Massachusetts, and there is a season for
taking them. They are fairly popular food fishes here in southern New
England, a staple at many Portuguese restaurants where they are served
deep fried. Some restaurants serve a side of an excellent marinade to go
along with them.

Sorry about the first paragraph, I couldn't resist.

Rick Rego

-----