Re: NANFA-- Visit to Sailfin Pet Shop, Champaign, IL

Gardner Family (rendrag_at_netonecom.net)
Sat, 08 Feb 2003 01:05:43 -0500

<x-flowed>
Many moons ago when I lived in Champaign, I worked at the old Sailfin
Pet shop. That building is now a parking lot. The owner, John Cwaygl
(or something like that, never was much for spelling) was one of the
first pet shop owners in central Illinois and probably throughout much
of the nation, not only carried native fish, knew how to take care of
them, he also had the permits that allowed him to buy, stock and sell
native fish. As far as I know, John is still the owner of the shop.
Unfortunately, I have not been back to Illinois for about 5 years. I am
not sure who you talked with but John is about 5'5' tall and quite
slender. Don't know if he has gray hair. You may very well have talked
to one the sale people there.

When I moved from Champaign to Chicago for 6 years after getting my
degree from the U of I, I found only one store anything close to
Sailfin and that was the old Noah's Ark, which has since gone out of
business. Now I am stuck in North Central Michigan and there are no
stores even close to the variety of fish and supplies. I was back to
see John and Sailfin at the NANFA conference in Champaign back in '98 or
'99 and after checking out the petshops in the twin cities, Sailfin was
by far the best. I hope you go back and if you do, ask for John and
tell him Joe Gardner recommended him to you. Keep in mind that if John
is still the owner, he has been there since the '70's and survived the
PetCo and those other chains which put so many other individual pet
stores out of business. Joe.

</x-flowed>