RE: NANFA--plywood aquariums?

Nick Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:36:52 -0500

There is no doubt that plywood aquariums are a quick and dirty way to hold
water, however we have found that they are subject to many more problems
than frp, acrylic, or glass aquariums. I would be hesitant about the frp
panels that Rob was referring to just because the texture will grow algae
and be difficult to get off. However if it covers the look of the panel,
then I guess it is ok. The other problem, which is more important, is that
if the seal between the panels do leak, it won't be visible and will cause
the plywood to break down. I would use a couple of layers of a two part
epoxy paint over each of the wood panels, then attach the panels together
with screws, then silicone. Another suggestion would be to have the side
panels over the edges of the bottom panel, this way the screws are able to
be tightened while there is water in it *when* there is a leak down the
road. Also, I would make sure that you have enough bracing to reduce bowing
and so that your glass/acrylic viewing panel can be a bit thinner so that
you don't break the bank. We usually think of wood tanks as tanks made out
of sugar, but just a bit less dissolvable. ;-)

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
216.661.6500 ext 4485