RE: NANFA--plywood aquariums?

Irate Mormon (archimed_at_netdoor.com)
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 22:25:37 -0600

I haven't undertaken this project yet, but my plans to build a plywood aquarium include braced corner seams which are made of coved
2X or 4X lumber. This should in theory drastically reduce the ocurrence of leaks at the corner seams, and would also eliminate the
rectangular inside corners. I also thought about putting brass angle "irons" on the outside corners, inlet so that they sit flush with the
exterior surface of the plywood, and attached with brass screws. The whole setup would be VERY strong and classy-looking.

On 19 Feb 2003 at 15:36, Nick Zarlinga wrote:

> There is no doubt that plywood aquariums are a quick and dirty way to
> hold water, however we have found that they are subject to many more
> problems than frp, acrylic, or glass aquariums. I would be hesitant
> about the frp panels that Rob was referring to just because the
> texture will grow algae and be difficult to get off. However if it
> covers the look of the panel, then I guess it is ok. The other
> problem, which is more important, is that if the seal between the
> panels do leak, it won't be visible and will cause the plywood to
> break down. I would use a couple of layers of a two part epoxy paint
> over each of the wood panels, then attach the panels together with
> screws, then silicone. Another suggestion would be to have the side
> panels over the edges of the bottom panel, this way the screws are
> able to be tightened while there is water in it *when* there is a leak
> down the road. Also, I would make sure that you have enough bracing
> to reduce bowing and so that your glass/acrylic viewing panel can be a
> bit thinner so that you don't break the bank. We usually think of
> wood tanks as tanks made out of sugar, but just a bit less
> dissolvable. ;-)

Prost,

Martin
Jackson, MS