Re: NANFA-- 135 gal. Freshwater Tank

Todd Crail (farmertodd_at_buckeye-express.com)
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:18:54 -0500

You know I think I can do this really quick. :)

Get a lamp color between 4000K and 6500K and the plants will do just fine,
and will be well within their zone of photoreactivity to outcompete the
algaes.

There's nothing to analyze there!

How much carbon and micronutrients you have to provide to meet the uptake
depends on the amount of PAR (Photosynthetically Available Radiation) you
are providing. This is a measure of intensity.

If you have more PAR than available carbon and micronutrients, you will open
the door for algae to participate, regardless of what lamp color you have.

If you have less PAR than available carbon and micronutrients, uptake may
not be fast enough due to an "energy input" deficincy to use the phosphates
and nitrates our aquariums produce, and you will open the door for algae to
participate, regardless of what lamp color you have.

High Color Temp has lower PAR values as the wavelengths are long and
infrequent. Low Color temp has higher PAR values as the wavelengths are
short and more frequent.

Flourescent and Compacts have lower PAR values because the wattage is
derived along a tube. Metal Halide has high PAR values because the wattage
is derived from a tight source point.

Yes, it's a balancing act, and you have to figure it out yourself. No one
can teach this, regardless of how many act like they can.

And more info to arm you...

At similar wattages, Metal Halide has a very short but square intensity
footpint... Flourescent lamps have thin but long intensity footprint.

Flourescent lamps are good for achieving a like lower intensity across a
large area which is good for most submerged plants commonly found in our
hobby.

Metal Halide is good for achieving something that looks like sunlight, can
be filtered by emmergent plants and still reach the submerged plants below,
reflected off of wood to produce shadows, and meet a whole realm of plant
community requirements.

Todd's book of lighting in 8 minutes! Heck yeah! :)

Hope this helps..

Todd