Re: NANFA-- Actincs pt. 2

Todd Crail (farmertodd_at_buckeye-express.com)
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 01:18:34 -0500

These kinds of posts (the content in the post from a post, not "your" post
Martin :) just make me chuckle. There's no frame of reference on "quickly".
No quantification at all. My Dad thinks his watersprite grows too quickly.
Well, it grows... And the too quick part means he might have to put his hand
in the tank...Sometime. And that's about it. Not the monthly grocery bag
harvests I was sending to the trashcan because I'd pretty much given it to
everyone I could think of. The LFS even said "no more of your 'free'
watersprite!" :)

Now I'm not saying I'm some genius that I can make watersprite grow like the
dickens... For sure. But you have to wonder if there's much validity to any
information posted on lists and such... without any kind of proof to show.
And without a list of what species of plants even, there's no way to even
begin to frame it.

For example, I recently set up a 10 gallon guppy holding/feeding tank for
some sculpins. I took one of those clippy lights with the aluminum
reflector thing, put a 15 watt regular old light bulb in it (that's what I
had available), run it 12 hours a day.... And the hornwort and duckweed is
growing.

I might have to harvest it soon after a month and some setup. Is that too
quick? Should everyone run out to Home Depot and get a clippy light and a
15 watt light bulb? :)

The other extreme is the old Todd, who was a rotten pr_ck and stuffed
progression photos of EVERYTHING in everyone's faces... So I'm not walking
away blameless here. Balance is best ;)