Re: NANFA-- SC Cichlids (was Esox americanus)

Stan Perkins (stanperkins_at_academicplanet.com)
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:50:36 -0600

Come to Houston, we are not up to Florida's standards but we do have plecos,
guppies, jewel cichlids, talapia, apple snails, and assorted other buy trash
in our local bayous. If you count the parrots and exotic reptiles, it gets
like a movie set sometimes.

Stan Perkins
----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Sandel" <kwksand_at_yahoo.com>
To: <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2004 9:41 PM
Subject: RE: NANFA-- SC Cichlids (was Esox americanus)

> We've only got one native Cichlid. Herichthys cyanoguttatum, the "Texas
Cichlid" which only naturally occurs in the southern part of that state. It
is very possible to collect nonindigenous Cichlids throughout the U.S.,
however. We occasionally get Convicts and Jack Dempseys in Ohio, but
anything capable of being released from an aquarist can potentially be
caught when the temps are high enough. Almost all species will die during
even a mild winter in most states. I wouldn't doubt that a few species could
overwinter in South Carolina, maybe even raise a brood or two, but I am not
aware of any established populations at that latitude. If you have caught
some, they are probably native to northern Central America (Cichlasomines),
as they seem to be the most able to adapt to SE U.S. habitats. If you are
specifically looking to collect Cichlids, check the warm water effluents of
power plants, they often provide constant temps which allow for prolonged
survival of all sorts of trop
> ical
> goodies. If you are REALLY interested, check out "Nonindigenous Fishes of
the U.S.", published by American Fisheries Society, probably the best
reference ever for this kinda stuff.