Re: NANFA-- tadpole madtoms looking amarous.

Todd Crail (farmertodd_at_buckeye-express.com)
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:25:29 -0500

Thanks Chris!

"Previous descriptions and pictorial representations of madtom reproductive
behaviors have focused on two main behaviors, Carousel and Embrace. Bulger
(1999) described Carousel as the 'fish swim together head to tail in small
circular pattern under structure'. Stoeckel (1993) also described a
Carousel when he saw the 'male and female chasing each other in a circular
pattern'. Even though Fitzpatrick (1981) used a different term, 'mutual
caudal embrace with locomotion', essentially it was the same Carousel
behavior. "

Well if what I've been watching isn't Carousel and Embrace, I dunno what I'm
seeing... They _really_ dug down in there tonight when I got home from
dinner. The male was laying on top of the female with her all smashed down.
They were like that for about 10 minutes (even though there was food in the
tank, which they normally come right out for) and then suddenly she decided
she was done being down there. But then they started to Carousel again, and
didn't even pay any attention to the food, which they did break pattern for
feeding last night.

I also noticed that the male had monster sized lips and wondered about that.
Looks like it should say "VOIT - Inflate to 35lbs" on the inside of his
lips.

Guess I better go take some water params huh? Man, that's like doing work.
<sigh> ;)