RE: NANFA-- Collecting Equipment - electrofishing

Downs, Chris (CDowns_at_bridge.com)
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 11:23:22 -0600

Traps would be my collecting tool of choice if undamaged, "unstressed" fish
was the predominant factor. IMO they clobber seines in that category.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark B
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2000 10:42 AM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: RE: NANFA-- Collecting Equipment - electrofishing

At 10:18 AM -0600 1/11/00, Hoover, Jan J WES wrote:
>A recent study evaluated lethal effects of electroshocking and
live-trapping
>on greenside darters (Etheostoma blennioides). Mortality from
>electroshocking ("electrofishing" to be more politically correct) was low
(<
>10%)

'Course that doesn't address the question of how electrofishing compares to
seining, dipnetting or castnetting. I almost never use traps, because I
have limited time at the site and I want to get in and see what's there
right now. I can see how fishes in a trap could become stressed and
injured while trying to escape over a long period. If I'm careful, I
usually have very low mortality on netted fishes.

Mark Binkley
Columbus Ohio USA <))><
mbinkley_at_earthling.net