RE: NANFA-- Alaska Salmon in the Classroom question

Shireen Gonzaga (grw70d5824_at_yahoo.com)
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 15:23:37 -0800 (PST)

> Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 09:44:49 -0800
> From: "Jay DeLong" <thirdwind_at_att.net>
> "In his later years, Gilbert became an outspoken
> champion of the need for conservation of Pacific
> salmon resources, warning all who would listen
> that this resource was in dire jeopardy unless over
> fishing was curtailed....
> And he died over 60 years before the federal
> government considered salmon stocks in dire enough
> jeopardy to be listed as endangered!

That's discouraging to hear. I wonder what it is about
human nature that ignores warnings and keeps repeating
past mistakes. In the past 100 years, humans have
learned to destroy over massive scales, be it in war
or environmental degradation. Can "we" afford to keep
ignoring the warnings and making the same mistakes?

Thank goodness Star Trek Voyager is on tonight--it's
easier to contemplate fighting 24th century Borg than
fighting against 21st century ignorance.

- shireen

=====