Re: NANFA-- Fish rules criticized, praised at Oregon hearing

Christopher Scharpf (ichthos_at_charm.net)
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:47:43 -0400

Steve,

Basically what I've gleaned from the Oregon hearings is this:

The government (NMFS) says a number of activities such as destroying
habitat, discharging toxic chemicals into water, blocking streams for
migrating fish, using pesticides and some certain fish-hatchery
operations could put a landowner or local government at risk of
violating the Endangered Species Act.

Landowners are calling this a "federal land grab" and are accusing Clinton
of wanting to turn the Pacific Northwest into a national park.

Chris Scharpf
Baltimore

----------
From: "Whitlock, Steve" <Steve_Whitlock_at_jdedwards.com>
To: "'nanfa_at_aquaria.net'" <nanfa at aquaria.net>
Subject: RE: NANFA-- Fish rules criticized, praised at Oregon hearing
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 12:50:22 -0700

Chris, you bring up some valid questions. I don't have the original message
that prompted this thread. Could someone post that again? I'd like to know
the details in this case and understand what the government is specifically
proposing be done with private land in order to protect the salmon. What
ever it is, the land owners don't sound happy about it. Does anyone know of
any news articles related to the Oregon hearings?

SW