Re: NANFA-- My nanometers request answered

Nicholas J. Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 17:39:02 -0500

Mark, flourescent bulbs use various kinds of phosphors which create
different wavelenths, thereby not affecting the intensity of the bulb.
They may look dimmer to our eyes but that is because our eyes are more in
tune to the yellow part of the spectrum.

Also, where did you get the blue pike article?

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
216-661-6500 ex 4485

"Fish worship... is it wrong??" (Ray Troll)

original message

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:32:15 -0500
From: Mark <mbinkley_at_columbus.rr.com>
Subject: Re: NANFA-- My nanometers request answered

At 8:58 PM -0500 1/20/01, Moontanman_at_aol.com wrote:
>Bruce, nice site and good tech info but i disagree with him about broad
>spectrum lighting. after more than 30 years of growing plants of all types
>have found that wide spectrum light will always out perform lights that
are
>just primed for photosynthesis there is some thought on this in scientific
>literature and it has to do with pigments in plants that we can't see that
>convert light that chlorophyll can't see into energy for the plants. it
can
>be readily demonstrated for both infra read and ultra violet and there is
>some reason to suspect it occurs in light in the mid range too. I know
that
>broad spectrum lights do indeed result in better more regular and natural
>growth of plants of all types.

Wonder how that relates to intensity. I'm thinking that the special
spectrum lights use filters to eliminate the unwanted wavelengths,
effectively reducing the intensity of the light produced.

Mark
Columbus Ohio USA <))><
mbinkley_at_columbus.rr.com

Need fish, supplies, information? Visit...
http://jonahsaquarium.com/