Re: NANFA-- Syngnathus sp

Brian Bastarache (bast_at_ici.net)
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 22:12:37 -0500

Here are the details:

Tank: 60 gallon hexagon

Filter: Fluval 430 with carbon, Fluval foam block and SeaTech pads, and
some bioballs and lava rock for biological media
.
Lighting: Full spectrum flourescents bulds (2) in the hood on a timer with
a 12 hour photoperoid.

Substrate: Fine sand and a few shells (of native inverts) and rocks. There
are a few vynil plastic plants that look like eel grass. We have used these
same plants in two other 60 gallon hex, esturine setups too.

Diet: mostly live brine shrimp, supplimented with marine vitamins and
frozen food (mostly for other inhabitants).

Tank Mates: 2 nine-spine sticklebacks and a few grass shrimp.

Chemistry: salinity about 18-20 ppt pH about 8 ammonia was usually low,
but we did get occasional spikes. ( The seahorses survived.)

Did I leave anything out?

Brian Bastarache
NANFA- New England
Bristol County Natural History Center