Re: NANFA-- Syngnathus sp

sorinus (sorin_at_imajis.com)
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:50:59 -0500

Nick and Brian

Indeed, you pointed exactly what's the best food for syngnathids.
I used to keep S. nigrolineatus, S. typhle (ssp argentatus), S.
tenuirostris and S. variegatus. If you give them live food and plenty of
vegetation, they will flourish in any tank with right water chemistry.
I used to give them freshwater zooplankton (Daphnia, Cyclops, etc) I was
collecting daily in a nearby pond. In a brackish tank the plankton was
surviving enough time to be eaten by pipefishes. The seahorses were
slower and they needed a water current to bring food close to their
"nose". Brine shrimps are perfect food, marine mysids even better
(whoever can collect or buy them at a reasonable price). Syngnathus
doesn't take flake food or any other kind of prepared food. They did it
in few instances and I think it was by mistake. They are very active in
the tank and will move easily to hunt food. Something they may not like
(my own experience, which may not be necessarily the best), is strong
water current from circulating pumps or power heads. For filtration I
used inside corner filters, just enough to clean the water for
photography purposes. For brackish or marine species, it is easy to
match the chemistry with today's salts you can buy at a pet store, but
for the freshwater species, I always made sure I am in the alkaline
side, well buffered water, with elevated hardness. This may be easy
for those living in areas with water sources coming from limestone
aquifers.
sorin damian