Re: NANFA-- RE: NANFA - School Daze -- was: Crawdad

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 14:46:27 -0500

<x-flowed>
The sad thing about this is, is that it shows how poorly educated in science
most elementary (and middle school) teachers are. In Alabama, of all places,
there are programs in place to help improve the situation. I'll be
participating in one of them in March-April, working with an elementary
teacher as a partner to teach elementary school teachers how to conduct a
class unit on Vertebrate Zoology at the 5th grade level using amphibians as
study organisms. Such a unit is mandated by state education standards even
though most teachers have a poor science background.

Hopefully, we as NANFA can come up with more support for such efforts in the
near future. Our Corcoran Education Grant program is a strong step in that
direction.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A (where spring is springin')

>In a message dated 1/28/02 10:28:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>DenkhaR_at_Ci.Fort-Worth.TX.US writes:
>
><< My daughter won in science class last week after asking about the
> ecological significance of parasites...she's in the 5th grade!! >>
>Way cool, I used to play that game too! Both my boys carry on the
>tradition.
>
>Moon

</x-flowed>