Re: NANFA-- do fish get goiters?

geoff (gkimber2_at_earthlink.net)
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 19:15:42 -0500

Does anyone know of a link or have a picture of goiter in fish?

I have looked online and I have been unable to find a picture of goiter.

My fish have a roughly spherical mass that is pretty much peach color. It is
spongy looking and the surface is very coarse - it is not smooth at all.

one mummichog is female and is very large. she appears quite fat and not
wasted at all, like I tend to associate with TB. This fish has had this
growth for 2 or 3 months. The other mummichog is a juvenile. the mass has
only been there a short time and it is barely noticible.

the bluefin killie is male, and is displaying breeding colors. The mass is
also barely noticible. if the large female mummi did not have the mass, I
don't think I would have noticed it on the bluefin killie.

I added 1 tablespoon of iodized salt to the tank the mummi's are in. Contrary
to most of the 'advice' I saw on the web, the fish did not keel over dead.

I plan to do the math and add just plain potassium iodide to make the iodine
levels in the tank similar to those in the ocean. I guess I could just go to
brackish or salt water for the mummi's but that would kill the plants inteh
tank and I'd rather not.

Geoff Kimber
Lexington,KY