Re: NANFA-- brackish water sand bed etc.

Todd Crail (farmertodd_at_buckeye-express.com)
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 11:34:04 -0500

You're looking in the right direction Jim. You'll have a much more
aesthetic and solid system doing this. Establishing sandbeds now will only
start the process as it will create a whole lot more surface area for
bacteria and algae (and that's algae you don't have to look at :)

Shane's suggestion is a great place to start for the basics... My view of
this is to turn the whole system into a plant refugia and let the critters
go where they may.

What's outside my experience is the species of macroalgae and plants that
live in waters of this lower salinity... I'm only familiar with stuff in the
ocean proper and mangrove plants (which I haven't had a chance to explore
their ecosystem yet other than on boardwalks). I think though, that our
friends along the southern coasts would be able to make suggestions,
possibly make collections of cultures or seed for you. Mangrove seeds are
really easy to find if you're in the right location, and I've found them to
grow _very_ well under 175w Metal Halide. You just stuff 'em in the sand
with the cap point up and voila, they'll sprout roots and start sending up
leaves.

With the prospect of getting into this type of habitat at the Convention and
now knowing that GE Daylight Ultras can run at VHO intensity on IceCap
ballasts... I've been considering doing a similar setup in the new rack I'll
be putting together later this winter, as I also find the gobies and coastal
killies interesting, additionally, all the critters that come with it...

In any case you can expect me to be mucking around in the habitat :)