Re: NANFA-- r (hellbenders plus!)

mike sandel (kwksand_at_yahoo.com)
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:18:56 -0800 (PST)

I agree completely, In Ohio, great lengths are being
taken to preserve a single (our last) population of
blandings turtles. While this species is under
considerable threat throughout its range, the
resources spent to re-stock a cleveland metropark
could be put to better use....for example,,habitat
restoration in a less impacted part of the state, or
anyplace else in the country which would have suitable
habitat to sustain a healthy population, even,,
forgive me, the mainstem population in Michigan. I
understand that a state as an entity would like to
maintain biodiversity, but the efforts are futile
unless the population is considered as a whole, not
divided by our state lines, as you said.

For the record, if our buckeye turtles were competing
with the turtles from Michigan, ours would win.

Mike