Re: NANFA-- biology-Collecting ethics

Todd Crail (farmertodd_at_buckeye-express.com)
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:24:11 -0500

And I'd been meaning to catch up to this too... You've lost a certain level
of respect with me with these statements Martin. You've always had healthy
debates, with arguments that provoked my mind wether I agreed or not. I'm
not sure what's allowed you to fall into this kind of thinking.

While it may be true that people who don't know what they want to do find
themselves trying on Biology, at the undergrad level there's some real
buggers called Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry and Cell Biology that screens
out the weak even at this level. These aren't courses that allow
indecision, which you seem to be implying. I only hope you can clarify this
and it was a weak moment where sarcasm seemed to better fit the bill than
reason.

Likewise in Business & Administration... Statistics and Microeconomics
seemed to have been the real buggers (at least that's what my sister and
roomates had trouble with) and in the case of one of my roomates, he ended
up dropping out because he couldn't pass Stats (even though he had a
fantastic Biology-based tutor trying to help him ;)

Fact is... A lot of kids these days show up "Pre-Med" as Freshmen, and by
the end of Q1 through a heavy dose of reality in Inorganic Chemistry and
Pre-Calc, have found themselves in much more suitable career paths.

Would their initial choice discredit Medicine in your eyes as well?
Something any Joe could do better than the professionals?

And foremost... My impression of your comments sounds like there aren't any
bad businesses out there. Even ones that are financially successful... I
have worked for and consulted to many Fortune 500 companies. They are only
financially successful because they have so much inertia and mass.

The consumerist "sheep" they sell their wares and services to are a pretty
poor peer review, don't you think?

No one pays attention to the proposals of those who've made careers out of
sounding important and never delivering anything, in the business world.
Equally in the Biological sciences world... No one pays attention to the
proposals of those who've made careers out of sounding important and never
delivering anything. Deja vu?

Todd