Re: NANFA-- Bitterling is Rhodeus sericeus amarus

pinocchio (antilupa_at_yahoo.com)
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:26:42 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
Liveaquarium mentions Rhodeus sp., so who knows if
this is the European Rhodeus sericeus amarus. There
are many related species. Banarasecu wrote a revision
of the genus and gave distribution maps for all
related species in one of his Zoogeography books.
When I was a kid I used to capture them with a small
home made "minnow trap" (a small glass jar with some
bread crumbs inside). The bivalvia in that area was
Unio pictorum, but they can lay eggs in many other
mussel species.
http://zooserv1.uni-muenster.de/limnology/seminars.old/ref_33.pdf

sorin

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=836