Re: NANFA-- unusual creek names

Richard J Rego (newzoo_at_juno.com)
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 15:53:33 -0500

Hi folks,

Here in New England, very rarely do you here the word creek, usually
there called brooks. We also have a Bread and Cheese Brook in Westport
Ma. One that comes to mind is - Labor in Vain Brook in Somerset, don't
know how that name evolved, but always wondered about its existence.
There is a creek in Amesbury called the Starlight Creek, a brook in
Boxford called Fish Brook, Destruction Brook in Dartmouth, Salmon Brook
and Trout Brook in Dunstable, Queen Gutter Brook in Fall River, Baiting
Brook in Framingham, Alewife Brook in Gloucester, Hopping Brook and Jar
Brook in Holliston, Tumbling Brook in Holbrook, Allowance Brook in
Sudbury, Shaving Brook in Middleborough, Frogfoot Brook in Plymouth, to
name a few with odd names.

Rick Rego (Swansea Ma)

/------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----
> /"Unless stated otherwise, comments made on this list do not
> necessarily
> Association
> / nanfa_at_aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send
> the word
> / subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an
> email to
> / nanfa-request_at_aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command
> http://www.nanfa.org

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.