NANFA-- OFF TOPIC: endangered species and objectivity

Jay DeLong (thirdwind_at_att.net)
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 21:04:26 -0700

<x-flowed>
At 11:44 PM 7/13/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Holding the environmental logic of Rush Limbaugh up to environmentalists,
>is like holding up a cross to a Vampire... or cryptonite to Superman! I
>don't know whaere he gets his logic from, but the scary thing is... that
>so many people think he's right on target! He is insanely ignorant to
>these issues, yet speaks with great authority... If we could somehow put
>what we know and appreciate, in the form of a pill and slip it in one of
>his pure tap water drinks, we might cure this ecological illiterate....
>aka Rush Limbaugh
>Rob C.

We have to acknowledge that people think differently. Basically, we're not
all on an equal objectivity level because of the baggage we all bring to
any discussion-- ideas, values and goals learned during formative
development periods, media influences, personal fears, basic urges like
aggression and self-defense, etc. Therefore, Rob, as as strongly as you or
I may feel about our relationship and responsibilities to the environment,
the world is full of people who believe that plant and animal species are
merely incidental to human development and do not belong where they impede
human progress. From what I've seen again and again, these people are
usually charged with a mission of sorts as prescribed through a religious
faith, and millions of people on our continent guide their lives by a set
of religious principles. This includes Rush L who even posted his personal
list of Truths, including his personal religious "faith" and lack of desire
to view the world objectively and scientifically. He's a playground bully;
an intimidator; like a kid who squashed bugs and never grew out of it; and
he's got an audience and is an unofficial advisor to our President.

Meanwhile, 30,000 species of microorganisms, fungi, plants and animals are
going extinct each year worldwide. It's like book-burning on an
accelerated global basis.

Be that as it may, don't let the a__holes get you down, and do all you can
to keep them away from schools and politics. Objective research and
teaching and optimism and compassion and responsibility must go on! The
magazine Skeptical Inquirer had an article you may find interesting called
"Voodoo Science and the Belief Gene: Why do people decide what to believe?
And do some believe what others doubt?" I scanned it and posted it at:
http://home.att.net/~dungeness/si-belief/si-belief.htm.

--
Jay DeLong
Olympia, WA

/----------------------------------------------------------------------------- /"Unless stated otherwise, comments made on this list do not necessarily / reflect the beliefs or goals of the North American Native Fishes / Association" / This is the discussion list of the North American Native Fishes Association / nanfa_at_aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the word / subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email to / nanfa-request_at_aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command to / nanfa-digest-request_at_aquaria.net instead. / For more information about NANFA, visit our web page, http://www.nanfa.org </x-flowed>