Re: NANFA-- Soque River snorkeling/daily humour

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:34:11 -0400

<x-flowed>
DNA structure (and function...) is a piece of physical evidence that can and
should be equally weighted with more traditional traits such as scale counts
and pharyngeal teeth. This is easy to say, of course(!). Similarities in
physical traits are the evidence used to group organisms in a fashion that
should represent shared ancestry patterns as best as can be deduced. So once
you find some difference(s), you have to come up with a phylogenetically
accurate tree that both reflects and describes evolutionary history.

My research with stonerollers will hopefully contribute to a better
understanding of _Campostoma_ population and species structure by looking at
one usually informative gene, the cytochrome b gene that is part of the
mitochondrial DNA. This isn't the only way to do it, but has been useful
with other fishes.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Hutnsville, AL, US of A
(and today I start lecturing about Mendelian genetics...)