RE: NANFA-- savannah and eastern georgia collecting

Geoff and Julie Kimber (gkimber2_at_earthlink.net)
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 20:36:23 -0500

Sorry I have taken so long to respond - My in-laws were in town and I
couldn't fet to my computer.

re: sailfins-

They are in general smaller than the fish in the store except for 1 large
female fish. It makes me think that most of the fish are juveniles.

The salinity was variable depending on the tides and rainfall. I foolishly
left my full range salinity tester at home so I am not sure of the exact
salinities. This creek was almost completely in a culvert except for about
30 feet. Out of the culvert came pretty much fresh water from rainfall. At
high tide, the water was really close to full salt. I also saw a school of
mollies in full salt water but I couldn't collect them due to tides.

re: fliers and crappies-
they are currently eating frozen blood worms. I plan to move them over to
my marvelous oyster/shrimp mix in the near future. I have 2 larger crappies
from columbus OH (collecting with Mark this spring) that really like shrimp
and oysters.

re: sheepshead minnows-
yes, they are pretty nasty, which is very different from red river pupfish.
Red river pupfish were generally well mannered.
I will likely set up a species tank for them because they do not play well
with others.

I know they are easy to collect and in fact are an invasive species, but I'd
like to breed them anyway to hone my skills a bit. I have hungry
centrarchids that will be able to deal with any progeny that I don't need

Geoff Kimber
Lexington,Ky