NANFA-- Shiners in the Econ

Jeffrey Fullerton (tcmajorr_at_westol.com)
Wed, 09 Jul 2003 00:38:39 -0400

> Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 19:50:08 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Doug Mainor
> Subject: Re: NANFA-- Fw: Short Notice Fishing Extravaganza...FLorida Style

This river is a great place to catch shiners- mostly Sailfins but also
what are either Ironcolor or Red-eye Chubs and a smaller number of what
appeared to be Dusky Shiners.

During periods of low water- mainly in the winter / dry season the river
is clear with a tea like tint and you can see the fish- at least that's
how Mike described it between the time of my visit in the fall of 96 and
the fall of 97. When I returned the water was high and coffee colored
and you couldn't see a damned thing. Yet the shiners were relatively
easy to catch with a dipnet.

Tip : just sweep the surface where the current is moving swiftly. For
some reason the shiners like to hang there- or else they are attracted
to the disturbance created by the net. The dark water may make it hard
for the fish to see the net coming until it's too late.

Good luck and have fun!

Jeff