RE: NANFA-- ichthyology's not that bad... really!

Hoover, Jan J ERDC-EL-MS (HOOVERJ_at_wes.army.mil)
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 16:18:32 -0500

You could probably make your own, but they are easy to find in the
biological supply catalogs and are fairly inexpensive. They cost
approximately $200 each (a price that has not changed appreciably since I
was a graduate student in the mid 80s) and they last for years.

Drift nets are rectangular, fine mesh (350u) nylon nets. Standard size is
12x18" mouth and 40" length. Drift nets have a reinforced frame at the
opening that is anchored into the stream bottom with stakes (like long tent
stakes). They work on the same principle as a Wisconsin plankton net, or a
Surber net, excpet that they remain at a fixed location. By measuring depth
of water at the opening and measuring flow, you can use collections to
estimate density of organisms passing through the net (e.g., number/m3).

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Stallsmith
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2001 3:53 PM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: RE: NANFA-- ichthyology's not that bad... really!

>Off the top of my head, I do not know of any other references (although I
>am
>sure they must exist). I thought that Art Brown had done one other study
>of
>drifting larvae. A lot of drift nets, however, are set by aquatic
>entomologoists having limited interest in larval fish, so a lot of drifting
>larvae (including darters) may go unrecorded.
>
>- Jan
I've never done any work with drift nets. How do they work, and are they
usually home-made or off-the-shelf? I realize that I could use one (or
more!) in my observations of stoneroller YOY.

Speaking of which, yesterday in our collection we caught some YOY that are
~25 mm long and have entered the juvenile stage (the "we" is I have a
student working with me for Special Topics credit). They look like real
little fish, with a forked tail and prominent lateral black band.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL