Re: NANFA-- Lots and lots of snorkeling.

Mark Otnes (markotnes_at_email.msn.com)
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 20:18:57 -0500

Casper,

The water is still very cold up here. I was using a two-piece wetsuit with
a hood and boots. My hands were a little cold at first but they got used to
it, so I didn't have to use gloves. I could stay in the water indefinitely.
I can't wait for it to warm up at least enough so that I don't have to use
the jacket part because it kind of restricts my arm movements. I think I'll
get some flippers, that would really help in the deeper water. Amazingly
there were kids wading and jumping around in the water at Glendalough, not
me though it was just to darn cold!

The lake snorkeling was kind of a revelation to me. I didn't realize how
great the bull rush beds would be. When I got my wetsuit, the guy at the
dive shop was trying to talk me into scuba lessons, but I put it off at
least for now. He did give me a couple of good spots to check out though
for clear water. He said that there are some crystal clear lakes around
Park Rapids and Walker Minnesota, and I'll probably check them out.

I know that I whine a lot about the lack of fish diversity this far north,
but this is a good place to come if you want to see game fish. What I would
really like to see while snorkeling is sturgeon. I guess they're fairly
common in north central Minnesota in the International Falls area, but I
think the rivers have poor visibility up there.

I'm on-call for the next two weeks so I won't have my Friday's off and
probably won't get out much then. But after that - watch out!

Mark