Re: NANFA-- newbie question

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 16:52:39 -0400

<x-flowed>
Hi Dennis, welcome to the list and all... Your pond should be plenty big for
many fishes. Two in your area that would thrive in your pond are blackstripe
topminnows, _Fundulus notatus_, and orangespotted sunfish, _Lepomis
humilis_. Both species would happily inhale any and all mosquito larvae they
found.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb_at_badbear.com>
>To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
>Subject: NANFA-- newbie question
>Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 14:42:21 -0400
>
>I've been lurking for a short while to see what kinds of things y'all
>talk about. I must say it's mostly over my head! Euryhaline or
>diadromous indeed. :) Anyway, I decided to jump in & introduce
>myself, and ask my questions.
>
>I live near Cincinnati, Ohio on an acre lot out in the country. Last
>year I built a pond which is 40 ft. x 12 ft. and varies in depth from
>about 15" to 30". In the garden I grow native plants (trees, shrubs,
>wildflowers, etc.). I also grow native lotus in my pond.
>
>I would love to add some native fish. Do you think the pond is deep
>enough? I am worried #1 about protection from predators (herons,
>raccoons, grizzly bears, etc.) and #2 about protection from winter
>freeze.
>
>If it is big enough, what fish would you recommend? I'm mostly
>interested in mosquito control, but it would be nice to have
>something showy too. I don't want koi! The pond is made with a
>flexible liner. There is no sand, nor rocks, nor anything on the
>bottom... just flexible black liner. Don't know if substrate will be
>an issue?
>

>Any feedback would be most appreciated!
>
>Dennis (who doesn't really have grizzly bears in his pond)
</x-flowed>