NANFA-- Pulling our heads out of the sand: Saltwater

Jeffrey Fullerton (tcmajorr_at_westol.com)
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 21:11:20 -0400

> Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 02:04:52 -0400
> From: "Crail, Todd"
> Subject: RE: NANFA-- Re:pulling our heads out of the sand & miniature sturgeon
>
> Oh. So if you can't breed it, then don't do it (I did, I enjoyed it ;).

Sorry

I didn't mean to insult saltwater fans. Saltwater has always intimidated
me. I just never felt up to the challenge of providing these kind of
organisms with the level of care they really deserve. I found my niche
in dealing with fishes that like ponds and wetland habitats that are
easier to accomodate under captive conditions.

I do understand others with different interests and appreciate their
dedication to other things. It would be pretty boring to visit other
keepers with carbon copys of my ponds and collections of herps. Also
there are a few species of marine fish like Damsels and Clown Fish that
do breed in captivity. Other species might too if some enterprising
breeder figures out a better husbandry routine.

And I'd never say heck to anything but I'm only one individual and I
can't do it all. That's why in any advanced society- market based or
otherwise there is a division of labor. People tend to specialize in
areas of personal interest and become good at it. It's usually for the
better when individuals choose their own calling and a big plus if it's
something they really want to do.

Surely every ecosystem has it's fans the same as every group of fish and
other things collected by people. There are profit driven enterprises
and non-profit volunteer organizations at work now and more coming into
being every day to provide useful services to people who want to protect
or restore natural systems.

Jeff