NANFA-- Western species diversity

DeMarle, Stephen (Stephen_DeMarle-in-cable.comcast.com)
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 14:43:41 -0400

It may be lack of suitable freshwater habitats for fish that resulted in
fewer western species. As far as plants, butterflies or mammels go the west
has a huge number of species that are restricted to ranges west of the
plains. I think the number compares favorably to the east in terms of
numbers of species per square mile. But because it's so dry the diversity
of water habitats is much less than the east so there are far fewer fish and
amphibeans species. I also think that the age of specific watersheds is
much less than in the east so diverse populations of fish haven't been able
to inhabit these yet. The successful ones seem to be andromonous (sp?) fish
like salmons. Just a quess.

Steve
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 22:57:10 -0400
From: Irate Mormon <archimedes-in-bayspringstel.net>
Subject: RE: NANFA-- exotic species impact

Quoting Bruce Stallsmith <fundulus-in-hotmail.com>:

> The Rockies have
> been rising for the last 25 million years or so, which has separated
> watersheds for a period of time.

I thought isolation often results in high diversity?? Or maybe I am
thinking of
endemism. In the east we have the Appalachians - why is diversity higher
there?
Because of the age difference?

- --Irate
Charter member, DNRC

I think I understand the true meaning of diversity. If I attack traditional
values it's "free speech." If I attack the protected groups it's "hate
speech."
/ nanfa-in-aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the word
/ nanfa-request-in-aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command to
/ nanfa-digest-request-in-aquaria.net instead.