RE: NANFA-- Bully stonecats?

Chip Rinehart (crin-in-glassmaster.com)
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 06:30:50 -0400

We (Dustin and I) ALWAYS use salt first for any fish ailment. We also take
salt with us while collecting and add it to our containers of newly
collected fish. The fish seem to stay much healthier and we have very
minimal losses.

Chip in SC (*require NANFA Convention plug - we can demonstrate the salt
technique next week-in-the convention)

-----Original Message-----
From: James Alofs
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 10:59 PM
To: nanfa-in-aquaria.net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- Bully stonecats?

Have you ever considered a mild salt treatment to your tank? I had a similar

problem as yours with a batch of hatchery raised Golden Shiners in a tank of

mine, and added roughly a table spoon of common rock/cooking salt for every
5 gallons. The plants didn't fare so well, but eventually the fungus stopped

spreading and I only lost a few fish. Might work, but maybe its just hocus
pocus. :)

Captain Jimbo