NANFA-- Re: nanfa V1 #2085

Kristina Gabriel (km_gabriel-in-yahoo.com)
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 06:59:45 -0700 (PDT)

Newbie here checking in, with some questions on a subject that I hope hasn't been discussed to death already. I'm planning to get a small group of captive-bred blue-spotted sunnies, but I've only been able to find a little information on them-in-the library and online.

1. Are E. gloriosus better kept harem-style like some dwarf cichlids, or could a couple of grown males peacefully co-exist in a 46-gallon tank?

2. If they spawn, will the adults--or other small fish like swamp darters and least killies--eat the fry? (I actually want them to--I don't have the space to raise fry and find them new homes.)

3. Does anyone here know what plants are found in their typical natural habitat? I'm thinking specifically of Florida. Right now the tank is full of baby's tears and hairgrass (both dwarf and giant).

4. How big do they usually get? According to one of my sources they're the smallest of the Enneacanthus group, but I've seen adult sizes anywhere from 2.5" to 4" given.

5. Blackwater? Slightly acid? Neutral? Slightly alkaline? Doesn't really matter? Again, varying reports.

Thanks!

nanfa <owner-nanfa-digest-in-aquaria.net> wrote:

nanfa Sunday, June 13 2004 Volume 01 : Number 2085
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 23:32:58 -0400
From: Irate Mormon
Subject: Re: NANFA-- Saltwater pond

Quoting "Moontanman-in-aol.com" :

You are basically talking about a R/O unit

44.

> Does anyone know of any kind of membrane that could be used to allow
> freshwater to be pumped out of a salt water pond? I would like to slowly
> circulate
> water from a salt water pond to a freshwater pond without mixing the salt and
>
> allow the freshwater to flow back into the salt water so the salinity would
> stay
> the same in each pond even though the water was being pumped from one to the
>
> other. I could then allow fish to swim from freshwater to salt water as they
>
> pleased. Sounds like something that could be done with semi-permeable
> membranes
> similar to the ones used for desalinization. What do you guys and gals
> think?
>
> moon
> Association
> / nanfa-in-aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the word
> / nanfa-request-in-aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command to
> / nanfa-digest-request-in-aquaria.net instead.

- --Irate
Charter member, DNRC

I think I understand the true meaning of diversity. If I attack traditional
values it's "free speech." If I attack the protected groups it's "hate speech."
/ nanfa-in-aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the word
/ nanfa-request-in-aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command to
/ nanfa-digest-request-in-aquaria.net instead.

------------------------------

In a message dated 6/11/04 11:33:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
archimedes-in-bayspringstel.net writes:

> You are basically talking about a R/O unit

Yes, but one that can be used to filter that salt out of aquarium water on
the fly.

Moon
/ nanfa-in-aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the word
/ nanfa-request-in-aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command to
/ nanfa-digest-request-in-aquaria.net instead.

------------------------------

Other thank evaporation, it is extremely costly and difficult to do what you
are asking. It takes a lot of energy to purify water in that fashion. What
about making a huge still?

Nick Zarlinga

"If we ignore nature.....maybe it'll go away."

> In a message dated 6/11/04 11:33:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> archimedes-in-bayspringstel.net writes:
>
> > You are basically talking about a R/O unit
>
> Yes, but one that can be used to filter that salt out of aquarium water on
> the fly.
>
> Moon
- --