Re: NANFA-- A word on algae

Bob Bock (bockhouse_at_earthlink.net)
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 14:21:41 -0500

Thanks Dakota. Maybe I'll pick some up on my next trip to FLA. This is the
longest hair algae I've ever seen. This tank's been a big problem for me.
A 65 gallon high, originally lit by 4 15 watt bulbs. Since it was high but
low light, I could only get crypts and java fern to grow in it--neither of
which grow's very high. I trained java moss to driftwood I had
strategically place in the back of the tank. This produced a nice backdrop,
until the chemicals leaching out of the driftwood produced some fuzzy,
grayish wierd short algae. So I got rid of the crypts, the java moss, and
the drift wood, and too Shireen Gonzaga's advice and bought a reflective
fixture with two 36inch high bulbs--a zoomed 50/50 and a blue actinic.
Tried out some cabomba and hygro. These are doing ok, but growing far
slower than I had hoped. Plus, the hair algae. From the bright light, most
of the fish look washed out--the rosy side dace and the rosy reds. (The
white cloud mountain minnows don't look too bad, but then again, they aren't
natives.)

I bought a jungle val and a big hair grass plant. I'm hoping either of them
proliferates, so that the tank doesn't look so bare.

I'm also considering turning the tank into a Chesapeak bay brackish tank.
That would be contingent, however, on finding either a bay grass or
macroalgae that grows talk. I've thought of rocks, too, but a rock work
aquarium makes me nervous. I just don't think it's good to stress the
bottom of the tank by putting lots of rocks on it.

Bob