Re: NANFA-- Common Names

William Allen jr. (billandbonnie_at_peoplepc.com)
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 16:20:52 -0600

Speaking off the cuff, common names are kinda like nicknames. Sometimes they
stick and sometimes they don't. Another thing to keep in mind is the issue
of confusion. refer to the bit of discussion we had a few months ago re
Heterandria formosa. It is sometimes called the "Mosquito fish", a name
which I personally prefer as the males are not much bigger than a mosquito.
However, this name seems to confuse it with Gambusia affinis, also called
the mosquitofish, with which it shares a large portion of its range. This
also seems to be a preferred name in the UK where it is less likely to be
confused with G. affinis.

The preferred name according to the American Livebearer Association is the
"Least killifish". This is also the name used in the Peterson field guide.
However, it is not really a killifish - at least in the way most people
think of killifish. Also, this might confuse it with the DWARF killifish,
which IS INDEED a killifish.The third name appended to this fish is "dwarf
topminnow", although here again it's not technically a minnow.
So, to answer your question, no, the Name Police are not going to break down
your door (and check the tag on your mattress in the process) if you start
calling a fish a name that you appended to it yourself. However, (a) just
because YOU call it that doesn't mean that someone else will, and (b) you're
likely to cause a bit of confusion if people confuse the fish with something
else or don't know what the heck you're talking about anyway.

PS - - Names also often impart marketability, among other things. How many
"red tailed sharks" would the pet shops sell if they were called "red
tailied minnows", a much more accurate name.And would the Snail Darter get
as much press if it were referred to by a long Greek/Latin name instead of
something cute?