Re: NANFA-- Re:rainwater killies

Brian Bastarache (bast_at_gis.net)
Tue, 05 Mar 2002 06:25:39 -0500

Rick Rego and I collect them sporatically in esturine and salt pond
habitats. I have some long term rainwaters in one of my esturine displays.
They have done well and have grown quite a bit over the last year or two.
They are a delightful little fish to keep.

Brian Bastarache
Bristol Co. Natural History Center/
Bristol Co. Ag. School
135 Center St.
Dighton, MA 02715
<www.bristolaggie.mec.edu>

At 09:41 PM 3/4/02 -0600, you wrote:
>The first mention i ever heard of this fish was by my cousins, who are
>interpid redfish/speckled trout fisherman along the louisiana Gulf Coast.
>They mentioned this fish to me and, in fact, said that the only time that
>they ever saw it was following a rain.
>
>Bill Allen
>

>> >Bruce, great killifish article. Do you know the origin of the common
>name
>> >of the rainwater killifish?
>> >
>> >--
>> >Jay DeLong
>> >Olympia, WA
>> As to rainwater killifish, I've only heard fuzzy stories of their
>appearance
>> in marshes being associated with rainfall along coastal bays. Other than
>> that, I only know that "parva" as in _Lucania parva_ means "small".
>>
>> --Bruce Stallsmith
>> Huntsville, AL, US of A
>/---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>--
>> /"Unless stated otherwise, comments made on this list do not necessarily
>> / reflect the beliefs or goals of the North American Native Fishes
>> / Association"
>> / This is the discussion list of the North American Native Fishes
>Association
>> / nanfa-request_at_aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command to
>> / nanfa-digest-request_at_aquaria.net instead.
>> / For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,
>http://www.nanfa.org

---