RE: NANFA-- Beware the green sunfish

Robert Carillio (darterman_at_hotmail.com)
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:42:37 -0500

<x-flowed>
In my first ever large scale native public aquarium display, I displayed a
greenie! It was displayed in a place called "The Powehouse" in Cleveland, in
a restaurant called "Gamekeepers" where wild game was the specialty! (You
can see how the native display was fitting!)

With the lighting I had, in combination with the well amount of daylight
in the room, this beautiful male specimen was often mistaken for some kind
of Jack Dempsey by many home aquarists! This had to be the most beautiful
Greenie I had ever seen. His fins often displayed orange and white trim, and
his body was chock full of those lovely turquoise speckles.

I often took some flourescent light and shined it upon him from the outside
of the tank, and this even revealed 10 times the ammount of beauty!! I'll
never forget his redwine eyes too! HA! I can't describe how dazzling he
looked in the tank! Eventually, though, he got the crap kicked out of him by
this Pumpkinseed with a major attitude! I'll always dearly remember this
big fella! I actually fell in love with a fish.... Can anyone relate??.
HA!

Rob C.

>From: Irate_Mormon <archimed_at_netdoor.com>
>To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
>Subject: RE: NANFA-- Beware the green sunfish
>Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 03:05:54 -0600
>
>At 10:49 AM 3/21/02, you wrote:
>
>>Aggressive fish like greenies can also be the most endearing fish to
>>keep because they have *such* an attitude. They make for fine specimen
>>tanks.
>

>Well, I have a confession to make. Years ago, when I was a struggling
>college student, I had a greenie named "George". He shared a 34 gallon
>tank with a crawdad who lived in a burrow underneath George's favorite
>piece of driftwood. George was, I think, my first pet native. I caught
>him on hook and line. I kept him for two years before (hold on to your
>hats, guys) releasing him into the wild. So even though many of you never
>thought I would admit to keeping a Centrarchid, being the Cyprinid fan that
>I am, LO!, here is proof that even I was young and foolish once.
>
>BTW, while L chrysocephalus seems to be a fairly unremarkable minnow to
>many folks, a male in full pink is something to behold! Common as dirt
>around here, but damn they're pretty. I've seem 'em keep that color year
>round too.
>

>Prost,
>
>Martin
>Jackson, MS
>I can't stand cheap people. It makes me real mad when someone says
>something like, "Hey, when are you going to pay me that $100 you owe me?"
>or "Do you have that $50 you borrowed?" Man, quit being so cheap!
>/ Association"
>Association
>http://www.nanfa.org
</x-flowed>