Re: NANFA-- Mexican Yard Fish

Norman Edelen (normane_at_edelendoors.com)
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 21:56:49 -0800

Disregarding Moon's desire for the impossible, there are many fishes from
Mexico available in the hobby. Cichlids are an obvious choice, with many
species available. There are a lot of hobbyist currently maintaining some
unusual Mexican cichlids. I have some beautiful Theraps caeruleus. Some of
the more common cichlids also hail from Mexico. The firemouth (Thorichthys
meeki) is a good example. Any member of that genus would be fun to work
with. The Salvini ('Cichlasoma' salvini) is a beautiful animal that takes
no special care.

Getting away from cichlids, there are many interesting poeciliids. These
livebearers are generally easy to care for and are attractive. Most are
also available in the hobby with a little bit of searching. In addition,
most of these would do wonderful in an outdoor tub. I am partial to the
members of the genus Xiphophorus, familiar to most hobbyists as represented
by the swordtail and platies. Find some wild type stock and breed them. If
you can get some, Xiphophorus montezumae is always in demand, and is
striking. It possesses a sword that can grow larger than the body of the
fish.

Goodieds are always interesting, and should also do well in a tub. In
addition, many are endangered in the wild, and a few are extinct in the
wild, yet exist in the hobby. Zoogeniticus tequila is now considered
extinct in the wild, yet, is still pretty easy to obtain in the hobby. A
beauty.

Norm

A proud member of
The Greater Portland Aquarium Society
www.gpas.org
The North American Native Fishes Association: over
25 years of conservation efforts, public education, and
aquarium study of our native fishes.
www.nanfa.org