Re: NANFA-- Sea anemones

Moontanman_at_aol.com
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 20:09:06 EST

In a message dated 3/28/04 8:01:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Moontanman_at_aol.com writes:

> > Are sea anemones easy to keep? What amount of light do they need? The
> most
> > amount of light I can get reasonably cheap is 120 watts of fluorescent
> bulbs.
> >

> It all depends on the species, some do best in the dark others in direct
> sunlight.

Depth of the water is important as well. That pesky inverse square laws comes
into play. Also anemones use light of the blue wavelength much more than we
do so a blue light that appears dim to us would be bright to an anemone.
Actinic 03 bulbs are important or better 10,000 K metal halide bulbs. I had an
anemone that grew from about the size of my hand to more than 3' across in 18
months under a 1000 watt metal halide.

Moon