Re: NANFA--Collecting in southern alabama

Sajjad Lateef (sajjad_at_acm.org)
Thu, 3 May 2001 12:14:35 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 3 May 2001, Bruce Stallsmith wrote:
> community structure. The speaker, Ken Marion of the Univ. of Alabama in
> Birmingham, referred to blackbanded darters, Percina nigrofasciata, as very
> tolerant of turbid, low quality waters and presented an increase in their
> numbers as symptomatic of degrading water quality. Has anyone else heard of
> such a use of blackbanded darters? This is part of the creation of an Index

Not heard of it (being that I don't frequent ichtyological circles) but I
had an intuition that this was happening in the Mukwanago River in
WI. Earlier trips had always elicited rainbow darters. The last two trips
had elicited more P. nigrofasciata than we ever seen before and very few
rainbows. Also, there were less plantlife in the river and more turbidity.

Just an amateur observation. FWIW.

Sajjad
Chicago