RE: NANFA-- red flint gravel

btpmsi (btpmsi_at_yahoo.com)
Tue, 8 May 2001 19:53:27 -0700

Flourite is wonderful, but spendy. I mix the Profile and Flourite at about
60-40 Profile to Flourite or regular aquarium gravel 50-50 with flourite.
Both mixtures seem to work just great (and look great).

Cheers,

Brian Perkins
West Linn, OR
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanfa_at_aquaria.net On Behalf
Of Sajjad Lateef
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 6:32 PM
To: Nanfa
Subject: Re: NANFA-- red flint gravel

Have you tried commercial "fluorite"? It's quite a bit more
expensive than this red flint but it grows plants like crazy (for me). It
was the rage on the newsgroups a couple of years ago.

The latest rage in substrate is Schultz Aquatic Potting Soil (also
called Profile) also sold as Schultz Clay Conditioner. I tried it out but
don't like it as much as fluorite since it's lighter and will need a layer
of pea gravel on top.

I am planning to tear down one of my older tanks and re-set it up
with Fluorite.

Sajjad

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Geoff and Julie Kimber wrote:

> Well, I found THE source for red flint gravel. It seems that there is a
> company called 'red flint' and they sell red flint in sizes ranging from
> fine sand to rocks.
>
> The gravel I'm interested in costs $6.50/100 lbs, which is an incredible
> deal. The only problem is that Red Flint is in Eau Claire Wisconsin. Not
> all that far from Ray Wolff, but about 16 hours from Lexington.
>
> So why all the fuss? I'm just particular about the gravel I use. I have
> had good success growing plants in red flint.
>

> Anyway, I really don't have a source for red flint gravel here in
lexington.
> None of my local fish stores have it and they can't seem to order it.
>
> Is there anyone who is aware of a source for red flint within about a 4
hour
> drive from Lexington? This would include Indianapolis, Chuck. Perhaps I
> could link a gravel buying trip with a collecting trip some weekend.
>
> Geoff Kimber
> Lexington, KY
>
> BTW-
> the website for red flint is www.redflint.com

Sajjad Lateef   email: sajjad <at> acm.org
Chicago, IL     web: http://www.lateef.org/sajjad/