Re: NANFA-- Toms River, NJ Collecting 5/12/01 (long)

Dave Littlehale (rdlittle3_at_home.com)
Sun, 20 May 2001 14:13:44 -0400

Henry, sorry I missed your call and the amount of time it's taken me to
respond. To answer your question, yes and no. You can really collect them
at any time of the year; it is just harder at certain times. I'm not real
familar with the areas you went to; I have been to Horicon Lake a couple of
times, but I can't recognize the specific area from your description.

I've collected in the areas you visited in previous years during mid May and
have had fairly good success with both seines and dip nets. Before the
vegetation,usually bladderwort, develops (more difficult time) you need to
work around obstructions and the debris along the bottom; this should also
produce swamp darters, pirate perch and eastern mudminnows. The blackbanded
sunfish and other members of the genus Enneacanthus are usually associated
with some type of cover. When the bladderwort is thick (easier time), it is
usually the simple matter of scooping up as much as can be managed and sort
through it for the fish.

Hope this helps.

Good luck in the future

Dave