Re: NANFA-- You're Invited to the GCKA-NANFA-CAFE picnic in Ohio

Bob Bock (bockhouse_at_earthlink.net)
Sat, 26 May 2001 08:29:06 -0400

Mark, could you invite these folks to the annual meeting, if you or Rob
haven't already done so?

News Release of the North American Native Fishes Association

Contacts:
(Press only) Bob Bock, bockhouse_at_earthlink.net

(Meeting information) Rob Carillio, darterman_at_hotmail.com; phone
330-393-4448.

NANFA Annual Meeting Slated for Appalachian Foothills of Ohio

This year's annual meeting of the North American Native Fishes Association
will be held in the rolling, graceful foothills of Hocking Hills State Park,
near Logan, Ohio, from August 24th through 26th, 2001. The area is known for
its rocky cliffs and hemlock shaded gorges. Along with collecting
opportunities for such spectacularly colored native fish as the redbelly
dace, the meeting will also feature a number of knowledgeable speakers.
Talks include:

Husbandry and Propagation of Native Fishes at the Arizona/Sonora Desert
Museum, by Ken Winton.

How to Make Money for your community by Restoring River Corridors and
Improving Water Quality, by Mike Fremont.

Game Fish Can be Natives, Too: Walleye in the Ohio River, by Matt White,
Ohio University.

Fishes of the Lake Erie Shoreline, and a workshop on crayfish
identification, by Roger Thomas, Ohio Environmental Protection Agency.

The Fishes of Hocking Hills Gorge, by Pat Quakenbush, Hocking Hills Park
Naturalist.

Fishes and Other Aquatic Life of the Big and Little Darby Rivers, by Mac
Albin.

Creating Museum Grade, Life Like Habitats for the home aquarium, Nick
Zarlinga, Cleveland Metropark Zoo Aquarist.

Affordable lighting alternatives to enhance the appearance of native fish
aquaria, by Rob Carillio, NANFA Ohio Regional Representative.

Meeting organizers are planning a total of 5 field trips. The main
collecting trip will be to Salt Creek, a tributary of the Scioto River in
Vinton County. ODNR biolgist Randy Sanders will demonstrate electroshocking
techniques (be sure to bring rubber waders). More than 40 different species
live in the creek. Mark Smith will lead a trip to Fairfield County to
collect in a small, clean, privately owned creek that's home to various
darter and dace species. NANFA members will also set up displays of fishes
natives to various parts of the country. The NANFA auction will feature
books, artwork, apparel, aquarium supplies, nets and traps. Meeting
attendees are encourage to bring unwanted items to the auction for donation.

The meeting registration fee is $65. Spouses and significant others can
attend for just $55. This fee includes a Saturday buffet banguet. Additional
savings can be had by staying at a Hocking Hills State Park Cottage, at a
cost of $89.80 per night. (A one night stay is $112.25. Because the Park is
very popular, cottages fill quickly. We strongly urge that you reserve your
cottage now. To make reservations, phone the Park directly at
1-800-282-7275. For information on other lodging choices, call 1-800-HOCKING
to request a free Visitor's Guide, or visit http://www.hockinghills.com.

Send registration fees, no later than August 10, to NANFA, 1107 Argonne
Drive, Baltimore MD 21218. Meeting updates and raffle tickets are available
on the NANFA website, at http://www.nanfa.org.