Re: NANFA-- temperature shock

Bob Bock (bockhouse_at_earthlink.net)
Fri, 17 May 2002 19:20:41 -0400

Here's my advice.

1) Shut your heaters off and let your tank temperature drop to room
temperature.

2) Bring your fish in from outside in a six gallon bucket or two. Add
liberal amounts of Am Quell to the water. Use an airstone to bubble oxygen
in to each container of fish.

3) Let the bucket and the fish wait overnight until the water from outside
reaches room temperature. Then you can add the fish to your established
tank.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Cezanne" <oblique_at_alum.mit.edu>
To: <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 1:54 PM
Subject: NANFA-- temperature shock

> It is getting warm enough up here to contemplate going out and catching my
pumpkinseeds. One problem that I foresee is a temperature shock. Last week
the pond was still at 58 degrees and the unheated tank in my basement is at
71 degrees.

> Yes, I can do a drip acclimation to help them along, but this seems like a
huge difference to me. My tap water is still around 55 degrees. Should I
drain the, gulp, 125 gallon tank the day before I am hoping to catch fish
and fill it that morning? It would take a few days, I guess, to get back to
71 degrees.

> Thanks!
> --
> pZ -- Paul Cezanne