NANFA-- Re: NANFA-Backyard Fun

Jeffrey Fullerton (tcmajorr_at_westol.com)
Tue, 21 May 2002 00:03:03 -0400

> Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 11:08:30 -0400
> From: "Crail, Todd"
> Subject: NANFA-- backyard fun...
>
> Welp, now that we're homeowners and have a whole backyard with a 5'
> privacy fence around it... I have 1/6 of an acre to tear out all the
> boring euro-grasses you have to fertilize and water (just so you can mow
> it more) and put in something fun and restorative to the local ecology

Todd

Looks like you are on your way to a cool setup.

I like the wetland garden you are starting. I have yet to devote an
entire space to such but have three "bogs" attached to my ponds. They
are underlaid by a flap of extra liner and filled with sand and quartz
gravel that is topped with a layer of sandy peat and live sphagnum.
These are acidic bogs that support a variety of shrubs, carnivorous
plants, orchids and other bog flora.

> The first step was to rip out all the Asiatic ground cover and wiley
> juniper bushes and get some All-American gold like coneflowers, black
> eyed susans, bergamont and big bluestem in the front beds.

You should try some Marsh Blazing Star- Liatris spicata. They do well in
both moist and mesic conditions- you can get them as corms at Walmart or
KMart or maybe even get locality matched genotypes from mail order
nurseries that specialize in native plants- or collect wild seed locally
if you really want to get fussy about it. Same for many native plants.

Good luck with your endeavor.
Also I hope you get a spotted turtle some day. They are one of my
favorite herps.

Jeff