Re: NANFA-- Off topic: East US Cicadas

ichthos-in-comcast.net
Thu, 13 May 2004 20:34:02 +0000

Baltimore is ground zero of the Brood X (ten) 17-year cicada invasion. It's actually 3 different species coming up-in-once. And when they do, it can be maddening. I remember the noise 17 years ago being so deafening that you couldn't hear the person standing next to you, and you got an instant headache the noise was so bad. And of course they fly crazily all over the place, looking for sex. Fortunately, they're harmless. And an excellent source of protein. The Baltimore newspapers have been publishing cicada recipes for weeks.

We found one in the yard this morning; up to a million per acre more in some areas are on the way. If my 'hood gets hit hard, I'll post some video.

For lots of tasty biological tidbits, go to http://www.baltimoresun.com , scroll down to "In Depth," and click on the insect.

Obligatory fish reference -- Gars are probably opportunistic predators, eating what comes their way instead of seeking out a particular food item. This was demonstrated by the observation of 4-14 shortnose gar feeding on dying periodical cicadas drifting along the surface of a Missouri creek in May 1998. The cicadas were part of a mass coemergence of both 13- and 17-year broods, the first time that had occurred since 1777. It was unusual that the gar were eating cicadas-in-all, since gars usually do not feed from the surface. Apparently, the gar were simply taking advantage of an abundant and easily captured food source. What was more unusual, though, was that largest gar in the group defended the best feeding area (usually a pool situated under a tree) against its smaller companions. The largest gar positioned itself perpendicular to any gar that was getting too close and drifted downstream towards it. Usually this was sufficient to frighten the smaller gar off, although a
t times the larger gar resorted to snapping and chasing in order to protect its nutritional bounty. At the end of the cicada die-off the gar stopped defending the feeding territory. This is the first recorded instance of territory defense among gars in either natural or artificial (captive) conditions.

Chris Scharpf
Cicada Country