Re: NANFA-- Black Hets./Black Mollies

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus-in-hotmail.com)
Sat, 15 May 2004 12:24:19 -0400

It's an understatement to say that the economics of the retail pet industry
have changed drastically. Trey's idead of a large fish store with nothing
but fish is good, I'd go there (!). But my guess is that what sustains the
bigbox stores now is food and accessories, both for fish and especially for
cats and dogs. These stores should just giveaway the fish, as long as people
come back and buy more food, filter cartridges, etc. That's where it would
be hard to have a viable "super fish" store in my humble opinion.

My experience in the industry was working in an LFS when I was 16-17. This
was when you could often find neon tetras 10 for a dollar, for perspective.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: Moontanman-in-aol.com
>To: nanfa-in-aquaria.net
>Subject: Re: NANFA-- Black Hets./Black Mollies
>Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 12:07:53 EDT
>
>In a message dated 5/14/04 10:44:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>bestfish-in-alaweb.com writes:
>

> > Isn't it odd how so many fish once well-developed and common have
>nearly
> > all disappeared today?
> > Black Sailfins, Liberty Mollies, Hi-fin Platies, Libby Bettas with
>tails
> > twice as long as their bodies... where did they go?
> >
>I think the chain stores are to blame, anything the least bit difficult to
>keep or outside the range of bread and butter fish is a no no. A lot of
>fish
>farms have quit breeding anything difficult to please the chain stores.
>Since no
>body orders them why breed them.
>
>Moon
/ nanfa-in-aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the word
/ nanfa-request-in-aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command to
/ nanfa-digest-request-in-aquaria.net instead.