RE: NANFA-- A ban on keeping fish?

Eggen, Jon (JEggen-in-dnr.IN.gov)
Wed, 19 May 2004 13:28:36 -0500

I would say that forces are NOT-in-work right now to outlaw the collection
and keeping of native fishes.
What I can say is that this issue is on the radar of Natural Resources
Management people just because it was brought up during the panel
discussion. I believe what prompted it is the concern that "amateur"
collectors are very good-in-what they do and when combined with scientific
collectors, loss of habitat, etc. that there is a concern that there might
be a significant impact to the resource which is not being adequately
regulated or monitored.
Jon

-----Original Message-----
From: ichthos-in-comcast.net
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 1:05 PM
To: nanfa-in-aquaria.net
Subject: RE: NANFA-- A ban on keeping fish?

I feel that there are 2 separate topics being discussed here, with great
potential for confusion.

1) Whether or not forces are-in-work to outlaw the keeping of *any* fish in
an aquarium, especially exotic, tropical fishes.

2) Whether or not forces are-in-work to outlaw the collection and keeping of
native fishes fish in the aquarium.

With respect to #1 my position is that save for fringe animal rights groups,
no one is seriously considering the complete and utter shut down of the
aquarium hobby. It's just too big of an industry -- and too popular of a
hobby -- to make disappear.

With respect to #2 -- especially in light of Jon Eggen's post about what's
happening in Indiana -- enquiring minds want to know:

> There are people within the Indiana DNR that have a concern about the
> hobby of collecting native fish for aquariums and think it needs to be
> looked-in-and may consider legislation in the future.

Jon,
What are their concerns?

> The spring Indiana Chapter of the AFS had a symposium of sorts
> looking-in-Scientific Collection Permits and the issue of "hobby
> collectors" was brought up.

Brought up in what way? In what context?

More information, please. Tell us what's going on.

Chris Scharpf
Baltimore

> I kept aquariums as a kid and still do and will encourage my kids to as
> well. I also think that an aquarium is much more intellectually
stimulating
> when you go out into the habitat, see what is there, immerse yourself
> (figuratively and literally) and collect the fish yourself compared to
going
> down to Boxmart and handing over 10 bucks for a fish you know nothing
about
> except that it looks cool. I don't have any problem with raising exotics
if
> they are not released but why bother when we have natives that even
cooler.