RE: Tank Raised Vs. Wild; was: Re: NANFA-- native killifish take the highest honor

archimed_at_netdoor.com
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 23:50:33 -0600

On 14 Nov 2000, at 10:23, chuckmiro wrote:

I have voiced my concerns about this as well, and have been
roundly "pooh-pooh"'ed. If you want to see a niche hobby gone
berserk, just look at the reef hobby. Now it's a haven for yuppies
looking for a fashionable past-time (who cares if the corals die, you
can just buy more). Makes it tough for the serious reefkeepers
who are concerned about the impact of collecting (those who aren't
in a state of denial, that is).

> habitats. The problem is that sometimes things can get too popular --
> causing problems we wouldn't want to see (e.g., over collecting, breeding
> and culling for unusual traits, etc.). Granted, the prospect of natives
> becoming "too popular" isn't something we need to worry about right away.
> Still, it's a path that too many popular species (fish, dogs, etc) have gone
> down before.
>
> Chuck
>
> --
> Carlos R. (Chuck) Miró, In the Potomac Basin
> The North American Native Fish Association (http://www.nanfa.org)
> DC Natives (http://www.egroups.com/group/PotomacAquaria)

Prost,

Martin
------
It makes me mad when I go to all the trouble of having Marta cook up about
a hundred drumsticks, and the guy at the Marineland says, "You can't throw
chicken to the dolphins. They eat fish." Sure they eat fish, if that's all
you give them. Man, wise up.